A deliciously garlic broth spiked with white wine and briny mussel liquor, this shellfish braise is a no brainer for a nice crusty loaf of Italian bread. Cannellini beans, hot Italian sausage, and cherry tomatoes finish out this dish and turn it into a weeknight winner.
2# Blue mussels
1 Tbl Olive oil
2 links Hot Italian sausage, cut in 1" pieces
1/2 cup Cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 Tbl U Wanna Pizza Me?
1/2 cup White wine
1 Tbl Butter
1/4 cup Scallion, chopped
- Wash mussels in a colander until cold water, removing any beards that may still be attached to the shell. Place in a bowl and reserve in the fridge for later use.
- In a tall sided saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and brown all sides. Add chopped garlic to the pan, along with the seasoning. Saute until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cannellini beans, and the white wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Add mussels to the pan, and cover. Allow the mussels to steam over low heat until they are all open, which usually takes 8-10 minutes.
- Uncover, and add the butter. Stir to combine and remove from heat. Serve spooned into a large bowl with a side of sliced Italian bread to sop up the delicious broth.